Introducing #HappyTrails 👉 A 5km & 21km trail event where you have a month to complete the route and be a citizen scientist!
ENTRIES ARE FREE!
Thanks to our wonderful sponsors, we have over R20 000 worth of prizes up for grabs, as well as a special prize for the fastest male and female. 🥇
Both the short & long routes start and end at HAPPY BY NATURE, 83 Kloof Nek Road.
The challenge starts on GARDEN DAY, Sunday, the 11th of October, and is open until the 11th of November. You can enter as many times as you wish!
- REGISTER FOR EVENT using the form below to get your ENTRY NUMBER.
- FOLLOW ALL SPONSORS on Instagram and/or Facebook. (see links below)
- TAKE A PHOTO NEXT TO THE YELLOW MINI at the start or end of the race, and add to Instagram, Facebook or Strava tagging us and the brands involved.
- PHOTOGRAPH AT LEAST THREE PLANTS found along the trail, use the iNaturalist App to upload your observations to the HAPPY TRAILS Project, for identification and to support biodiversity conservation. (see info below)
please do not veer off the trails to take photographs
SPORT AND CARGO –
RUN STORE –
WELLNESS WAREHOUSE –
DINKLE BAKERY –
1. Download Free App
2. In the App search under the Projects tab for HAPPY TRAILS and join.
3. Photograph a minimum of 3 plants and/or animals on the trail using the App. They will automatically be uploaded to the HAPPY TRAILS project.
4. You do not need to identify the plant or animal yourself, experts on iNaturalist will do that for you.
Learn how to use in < 90s
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How many times can you run/hike the route
You can run or walk the routes as many times as your heart desires during the month to get more entries! Each time you enter make sure to sign up for another number.
Can you run the route in reverse?
Yes you can, BUT…if you want to contend for the speed prizes, then you need to run the Segment as is.
Do you need Strava to take part?
No, unless you are racing for the fastest time. If you are contending, we need your Strava profile (set to public) in order for your run to appear on the Segment.
Is the race number compulsory?
You do not need to wear your race number, however, you do have to sign up and complete the run to qualify for all the lucky draw prizes
Is it compulsory to take photographs of 3 flowers on the route?
Yes and no, if you are racing for the fastest time, we will forgive you for not identifying any flowers along the way 😉 But to qualify for prizes you do need to photograph 3 plants and upload to iNaturalist at some point during the month. This can be done when you are not in competitive mode. As long as the plants are located within the streets and slopes of the City Bowl you will qualify. Helping us explore and share the amazing biodiversity in our back yard is what sets this event apart from the rest and we can guarantee you will start seeing our trails through new eyes.
Can I bring my dog in store?
Although dogs will love the trails please do not bring your dogs instore as your and our resident dogs might not want to be friends, and visiting dogs tend to find our baskets and plants on the ground perfect leg lifting height ;)Thank you for understanding.
Citizen Science Prizes
- For the observation of a plant not yet found on iNaturalist for Lion’s Head & Signal Hill.
- For the observation of an animal not yet found on iNaturalist for Lion’s Head & Signal Hill.
- For the best observation of a plant-animal interaction (like beetles enjoying the flowers).
- For the weirdest creature observed.
In Partnership with
FynbosLIFE is a wildlife charity and non-profit organisation, run by botanists, ecologists, horticulturists and volunteers. Proudly based in Cape Town, we protect and promote the City’s exceptional yet highly threatened local lowland fynbos biodiversity, through educational horticulture, habitat restoration projects and our Cape Flats Fynbos Nursery. There are many different ways to get involved in Cape Town’s locally indigenous greening movement – contact FynbosLIFE to help plant our natural future! www.fynboslife.com
P R I Z E S
Fastest Male & Female Runners for the 21 km:
Thule Achiever 20L Backpack; Wazoogles Hamper; Salomon Technical Running Tee + socks.
Fastest Male & Female Runners for the 5 km:
R1000 Vouchers to the RUN Store and R500 Vouchers for Wellness Warehouse
Lucky Draw Prizes:
Spirit Girl Activewear Vouchers
Wellness Warehouse Vouchers
Happy By Nature Vouchers
RUN Branded Visors
Thule Subterra Power Shuttle Mini Bag